While “getting in shape” routinely tops the list of most popular New Year’s resolutions, a decision to commit (or re-commit) to physical fitness can happen at any time… and those decisions spell opportunities for gyms, fitness trainers, and yoga studios. In the spring and summer, getting ready for swimsuit season can be a powerful motivator. The fall season offers ideal weather for boot camps and other outdoor workouts, and towards the end of the year, concern about burning off those holiday calories can take center stage.
For fitness-focused businesses, the key to capitalizing on those opportunities is staying top-of-mind with potential clients. By keeping your brand in front of them on a regular basis, you stand a far better chance of being in the right place, at the right time when they finally make the decision to commit. You can do that by leveraging
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
- Location events (such as setting up a booth outside a local grocery store or smoothie shop)
- Banner ads and re-targeting
- Promotional items
Of all the approaches listed above, promo marketing offers distinct advantages that set it apart. Let’s look at a few of the reasons why.
Why Promo Marketing?
In a study by Promotional Products Association International (PPAI), 81 percent of respondents indicated they keep promotional products for more than one year. Even if they only look at those products once a week, that amounts to 52 impressions per year. Recipients of promotional products also reported
- A more positive perception of the business
- A higher likelihood of buying from the business
- A higher likelihood of recommending the business to friends, family, and peers
Promotional items also make terrific thank-you gifts for the clients who keep coming back to you. By offering high-profile gifts like gym bags, water bottles, and t-shirts, your promo does double duty in showing your appreciation to your clients while also giving your brand high visibility among their family and friends.
Incorporating Promos Into Your Marketing Strategy
Even if your current marketing efforts are generating a steady stream of new clients, incorporating promotional items can give you the visibility boost you need to take your sales to the next level. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- For large community events like wellness fairs, bring unique giveaways such as sun-blocking lip balm and sports-themed stress balls, and hold raffles or contests for premium items like gym bags and blender bottles.
- For mailings or mass giveaways, consider business card magnets. They cost as little as $0.10 each, they fit easily into an envelope for mailing, and they give you high visibility every time a potential client heads to the fridge for a midnight snack.
- Offer new clients a “welcome bag” including a water bottle, a fitness journal, and a towel in a colorful sports pack, all featuring your name and logo.
- To keep current clients coming back, hold a contest to see who can accumulate the most check-ins in a month, and offer a premium item like Bluetooth headphones or a health tracker as a prize.
- Promos can also keep your brand top-of-mind with referral sources like doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists. Show your appreciation by giving them high-profile promos for their offices, like wall calendars, mouse pads, and sticky notes.
The New Year holiday may have come and gone, but the opportunities to grow the clientele for your gym, fitness services, or yoga studio are just beginning. By incorporating colorful, useful promotional items into your marketing strategy, you can keep your brand top-of-mind with potential clients and referral sources to create a steady stream of new signups all year long.
Now that’s a healthy promotion.