Our nation’s teachers are shaping young minds to mold the leaders of tomorrow, and for that, we cannot thank them enough. But we can try.
During National Teacher Appreciation Week — May 6-10, 2019 — the National PTA encourages not only schools, but also local businesses and civic organizations to make a special effort to honor our “V.I.T.s” — Very Important Teachers.
For schools, showing appreciation to your faculty improves morale and raises awareness among students and parents of the tremendous contribution your teachers are making every day. For businesses, Teacher Appreciation Week is an ideal opportunity to show your support for local schools and to build goodwill among the teachers and parents you serve.
#ThankATeacher Ideas for Schools
Teachers are the power source that keep our schools going, and Teacher Appreciation Week is an opportunity to recognize and honor all their contributions. Think about these and other creative ideas for showing your enthusiastic appreciation:
- Swap out the cover images on your social media pages with PTA’s custom Teacher Appreciation Week banners, and share the custom-sized I.T. Graphic on Instagram to generate buzz.
- Provide a catered lunch for your teachers on Tuesday, May 7 (National Teachers Day).
- Have your principal, PTA/PTSA president, or students sign and present customized appreciation certificates as a public “thank you” for all your teachers do.
- Present your teachers with custom gifts marking the occasion and featuring your school logo. Be creative and consider gifts they can enjoy outside of work, such as a set of coasters, or headphones.
- Each day during Teacher Appreciation Week, post a “Teacher Spotlight” on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, including the hashtag #ThankATeacher.
- Invite students and alumni to contribute stories to your blog about teachers who made a difference in their lives.
#ThankATeacher Ideas for Local Businesses
Because we can all thank teachers for helping to shape us into the people we are today, Teacher Appreciation Week activities can extend far beyond the walls of the school. Showing your appreciation demonstrates your community spirit and gives you an opportunity to reach out to the parents, students, and teachers on your list.
- Create a social media campaign where employees share stories of teachers who made a difference in their lives, using the hashtag #ThankATeacher.
- Send a personal email to all the teachers on your list and let them know how much you appreciate their contributions.
- Spas and beauty salons can give parents and students a coupon for a free manicure or haircut to share with a favorite teacher.
- Restaurants can run a different special for teachers every evening during Teacher Appreciation Week, such as a free appetizer, a free dessert, or a commemorative glass to take home.
- An insurance or real estate agency can surprise the faculty of a local school with a delivery of fresh doughnuts and custom coffee mugs printed with “We [heart] Teachers!”
- A local bank can deliver teacher goodie bags containing pens, jelly beans, a water bottle, and a note letting them know how much you appreciate them.
- Since Teacher Appreciation Week falls close to the beginning of summer break, travel agencies can offer special getaway packages for teachers, along with a weekender tote bag as a special gift.
By offering shout-outs, gifts, experiences, and discounts for Teacher Appreciation Week, you can show well-deserved thanks to the educators who do so much for students and for the community. Making our teachers feel loved and appreciated is the least we can do for these hard-working heroes, so be thoughtful and creative in finding just the right ways to lavish them with gratitude.