It’s said that bowling dates back to 5200 B.C. This claim is supported by evidence found in an Egyptian tomb, and inside this crypt are wall drawings that illustrate the sport being played. Since then, people have bowled through the Roman Empire to the 16th century, and many still enjoy the game today.
Bowling is a game of calculation and skill, but it’s also a sport of leisure, camaraderie, and humor. Today, recreational leagues are filled with bowling teams — and often participants will order personalized items such as T-shirts and bags to display their team name proudly. It is even possible to get customized pens to showcase when writing down your bowling score.
Bowling has a way of strengthening friendships through excitement and humor. In T.V. shows and movies, bowling has been depicted as a fun night out for couples and friends. It’s no wonder that there is a surplus of funny bowling puns, quotes, and slogans from you to choose from for the next time you hit the lanes.
A good portion of bowling is spent waiting for your turn, and mingling and joking around with your buddies. Good jokes often involve punny wordplay, and team names can commonly be born out of these jokes. Generally, those who are serious about their bowling league will get customized T-shirts showing off their team name for a sense of camaraderie. Whether it’s to make your friends laugh or to create a great team name, consider the following bowling puns for inspiration.
- Bowling is fun in your spare time
- Bowling is right up my alley
- Do bowlers ever have time to spare?
- That’s how we roll
- Bowling is a sport for people who have the talent to spare
- Bowlers keep their minds out of the gutter
- Leave no pin standing
- If you don’t get a strike, spare me
- Rock and bowl
- My favorite sport must be bowling because I always strike out with the ladies/men
- No smoking: just a Lucky Strike
- Playing catch & throwing strikes
- Bowling your eyes out
- Bowling thunder and lightning strikes
Bowling is so popular that movies have been made that revolve around the sport, such as the cult classics “The Big Lebowski” and “Kingpin.” Additionally, many famous stars have shared their own humorous thoughts on the sport. Celebrities have given rise to some hilarious and astute bowling quotes in movies and interviews, such as:
- “This is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules”
- John Goodman, in “The Big Lebowski”
- “We’re goin’ bowling. If we don’t come back, avenge our deaths.” Homer Simpson, in “The Simpsons”
- “The bowling alley is the poor man’s country club.” Sanford Hansell
- “Bowling would be more interesting if it were slightly uphill.” Demetri Martin
- “If I had been on ‘Bowling for Dollars’ I’d end up owing them money.” Ricki Lake
- “Bowling is not a sport because you have to rent the shoes.” George Carlin
- “Every bowling center should have a house pro.” Don Johnson
- “I’m a bowling pin, even when I fall I’ll always stand back up.” Jay Park
- “One of the advantages bowling has over golf is that you seldom lose a bowling ball.” Don Carter
- “In bowling and in life, if a person made the spares, the strikes would take care of themselves.” Stephen King
Bowling Sayings and Slogans
If you start hanging around in a bowling alley, you’ll quickly begin to pick up some of the jargon. Due to the casual nature of the sport — and people who play it — sayings, slogans, and other bowling phrases can be zany and amusing. Take a look at the following sayings and slogans for encouragement when thinking of a team name or just for something clever to say to your bowling pals.
- Try it, you’ll strike it
- Bowlers never die, they just end up in the gutter
- 300 or bust
- Gutterball gurus
- Split happens
- 12 strikes and you’re perfect
- Shut up and bowl
- Tenpin alley
- My drinking team has a bowling problem
- Strikes ‘R’ Us
- Keep calm and bowl on
- Lean, mean, bowling machine
- It’s never a good time to clean the gutters
- Eat, sleep, bowl
- It’s not how you bowl, it’s how you roll
There are many reasons to bowl, or to take up bowling if you haven’t already. In addition to the social benefits, bowling can boost your physical and emotional health as well. However, there are many more opportunities to socialize if you join a league. If you’re uneasy about joining a league of strangers, it is not difficult to start one of your own.
Starting your own bowling league or team can give you the freedom to invite whoever you’d like, set your own rules, and be in command of other arrangements. If you are the leader of a team, the idea to provide or order customized items will crop up. This will help you and your team feel like more of a fellowship and have more fun.