In the United States, Thanksgiving is one of the many beloved holidays celebrated with decorations, food, and loved ones. This holiday can trace its roots back to the 1600s, when the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock. 200 years later, President Abraham Lincoln declared the fourth Thursday in November a national day of thanks, and in 1941 Congress officially made Thanksgiving a national holiday.
Today, millions of people celebrate Thanksgiving regularly. Many travel to spend the day with loved ones, express gratitude, and share a meal together. According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), more than 54 million Americans traveled over 50 miles or more on Thanksgiving.
While it is unknown if the first Thanksgiving dinner actually had turkey as its main dish, nearly 90% of Americans today eat the bird, according to the National Turkey Federation. In fact, turkey has become so synonymous with Thanksgiving that, as part of a national tradition that began in the mid-20th century, the president pardons one or two turkeys each year, sparing them from becoming a meal. Other popular dishes include cranberries, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie.
Many Americans also use this holiday to help the less fortunate. Hosting a food drive is common, as is preparing free dinners for the hungry. The sense of community and thanks has given way to many powerful quotes and sayings reiterating these feelings. Below is a collection of quotes, sayings, and puns to get you and your family in the festive mood.
Over the course of this holiday’s history, many people have shared their thoughts about Thanksgiving and being thankful.In a study by Statista, 50% of Americans reported that celebrating Thanksgiving is very important, while 70% of Americans think Thanksgiving is a holiday to spend time with family. Of the millions of people celebrating this holiday, many feel the need to express their gratitude and take inspiration from others. Some of the most popular quotes about Thanksgiving include:
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” — Willie Nelson
- “Appreciation can change a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put into words is all that is necessary.” — Margaret Cousins
- “Gratitude can transform common days into Thanksgiving, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” — William Arthur Ward
- “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” — W. Clement Stone
- “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare. They are consumed in 12 minutes. Halftimes take 12 minutes. This is not coincidence.” — Erma Bombeck
- “When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty, my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup.” — Sam Lefkowitz
- “Thanksgiving, man… not a good day to be my pants.” — Kevin James
- “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” — John F. Kennedy
- “Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” — Alphonse Karr
- “The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” — Henry Ward Beecher
- “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” — Thornton Wilder
- “I like football. I find it’s an exciting strategic game. It’s a great way to avoid conversation with your family at Thanksgiving.” — Craig Ferguson
- “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” — Frank W. Clarke
- “When you give and carry out acts of kindness, it’s as though something inside your body responds and says, ‘Yes, this is how I ought to feel.’” — Rabbi Harold Kushner
Thanksgiving is about gratitude, but it can also be fun and whimsical. Often during happy gatherings, people like to bring humor to the table by way of stories, jokes, or in this case, puns. Puns are a safe, fun way to get people laughing at the dinner table, and a customized t-shirt with a funny pun on it is a great way to get into the holiday spirit at any Thanksgiving celebrations with friends or family. Consider one of these puns at the next Thanksgiving:
- Oh my gourd!
- Gobble until you wobble
- Feast mode
- I’m all about that baste
- Corn you believe it?
- That’s a-maize-ing
- I yam who I yam
- Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater
- B-autumns up
- Fowl play
- Turnip the beat
- The gravy train
- Taters gonna tate
- Sweet as apple pie
- Easy as pie!
There are also plenty of Thanksgiving sayings that aren’t quotes from famed or celebrated people or groan-inducing puns, but are still witty, funny, and enjoyable. These sayings are more appropriate for a relaxed atmosphere, while still getting everyone into the holiday spirit. There are many different Thanksgiving sayings, such as:
- There’s always something to be thankful for
- There’s always room for seconds
- Give thanks with a grateful heart
- Pumpkin spice and everything nice
- Thankful and blessed
- Pumpkin kisses and harvest wishes
- Leftovers are for quitters
- Eat, drink, and be thankful
- In all things give thanks
- Let our lives be full of both thanks and giving
- Gather here with grateful hearts
- Get your pie on
- It’s turkey time
- Keep calm and gobble on
- Count your blessings
Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday to get the family together to spend quality time. These Thanksgiving quotes, puns, and sayings are an easy and powerful way to create a thankful atmosphere as everyone gathers together around the table and turkey for the holidays.